Tuesday, August 14, 2012

I Like to Move It, Move It!

A couple more comments about water.  There are sources that say you need very little water because you can get water from your food.  This is true as long as you are eating your daily servings of fresh fruit and vegetables but if you are consuming processed food you get less.  Drinking a big glass of water 30 minutes before a meal helps "fill" your stomach so you may be less likely to engulf your food and overeat.  Also, I have heard it said that hunger may actually be a sign of thirst.

On to the second topic of achieving your healthy size - Exercise.   I used to really despise that word and there are mornings when I still do. So from now on I want you to start thinking about increasing your movement.   I am just as guilty as the rest of you that when a new year starts, I resolve to exercise more often so I start out with a 60 minute training video that is really intense.  By the end of the workout, I am tired, sore and discouraged because I felt completely out of shape.  I know that one of the biggest reasons I started to gain weight is that I decreased the amount of time I spent at the gym but did not decrease my calories.

If you currently don't move, get moving!  If you are used to driving around to find a close parking spot, park farther away.  If you have a desk job, step outside for a quick loop around the parking lot.  If you are drinking all the water you should, you will probably be making more trips to the bathroom.  Make a few extra trips up and down the stairs instead of loading yourself up with everything you can possibly carry.  Find a friend and go for a 20-30 minute talk walk 3 times a week or go for a bike ride (it goes by much faster and if you walk as fast as you talk, even better).  I have found that when I have a buddy to exercise with, I am more likely to go because someone else is counting on me.  If it wasn't for my running friends, I would have been done a long time ago!

If you currently exercise you may need to increase the amount of time or the number of times you work out in a week.  Changing your workout routine is also a good way to ignite the metabolism as you begin working muscles differently.  Eventually, aim for 30 minutes a day for 5 times a week, but in the beginning just think about increasing your movement!  Start small and add more activity as you feel better and began to enjoy the workout.  I started by walking 3 times a week and then slowly increased the amount of time and than went from a walk to a jog to a run.  Remember, not everyone is a runner so do something you enjoy!  The reason I focus on movement first and nutrition second is that when you start to move you begin feeling better.   As you feel better you become more aware of what and how much you are eating.  Again, we are not taking anything away just adding.  Have fun this week and add some movement!


No comments:

Post a Comment