Friday, September 27, 2013

I have had a lot of mixed emotions since the floods in Colorado. I feel very blessed that we have remained dry, but guilty that we still have everything - including running water. As I have talked with different families this week, I have realized many feel the same way. We are relieved that we are okay but almost unsure how to best help others.

I have had to limit my television viewing of the floods as I find myself getting completely absorbed into what is happening; the devastation puts me on an emotional roller coaster. On Monday night, I finally gave in and watched the newsreels play numerous pictures of the flooding over and over again. The severity of the destruction in Evans and the east end of Greeley was different than the picture of rest of Greeley. That night I could not sleep as I really was at a loss as to what I could do to help.

We have set up money and food collection for the Weld Food Bank at our office. On Wednesday, I took the kids to King Soopers to shop for the food bank. There were so many people at the store; most of them with items in their carts from the “Most Wanted” list. As the children and I headed to the macaroni and cheese aisle first, I was amazed at how empty the shelf was. I saw the same thing as we picked up vegetables, peanut butter, cereal, fruit and tuna. When I left the store I felt very little sadness but more pride toward our community for the support they were giving each other. In the past few days, I have seen food bank barrels at numerous businesses as well as drop sites for the Red Cross.

I know there may be some help from outside people in the coming months, but knowing how our community has stepped up to help their neighbors during this time fills my heart. What has certainly been a tragedy for many in Evans and Greeley has also showed the unity of our community. Just remember to keep watching out for your neighbors and helping whenever you can in the coming months.

I feel blessed to live in such a great community!

No comments:

Post a Comment