Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Vitamins and Supplements, I recommend

If you are anything like me, you can get overwhelmed when you listen to the list of supplements and vitamins you should take daily.  Pretty soon you have a pill box like your grandparents but filled with vitamins.  When parents ask me what supplements they should be giving their children, I recommend the same ones I give to my children.
The first supplement I recommend is the one I think can be the most important, especially during the winter, Vitamin D.  Vitamin D is a powerful antioxidant and is produced in the body through the sunlight we absorb.  Even though we live in the sunny state of Colorado, we generally limit our time outside because it is too cold, and when we are outside our skin is pretty well covered up!  Vitamin D is an immune system regulator that helps arm the immune system against the common cold and possibly reduce your chances of developing the flu, according to 2010 research published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.
I generally forget about vitamin D during the summer but the week before school starts, I have the kids back on a daily dose.  I know that once they return to school the germs will fly and the chance of illness will increase.  This is the one vitamin that I am religious about taking myself and giving the kids.  The daily recommended amount is 600 IU, although we give our kids 2000 IU/day.
The next supplement I recommend is fish oil.  I know - all you think of is cod liver oil, Yuck!  Fish oil is an essential fat which is important in supporting brain and nervous system development, along with the immune system.  Our brain is composed of 60% fat, so it would make sense that by taking a fish oil supplement, our brain would thrive allowing for better focus, balanced mood and increased learning!  There are a lot of different types of fish oil so I know that choosing can be difficult!  Just make sure it is high quality fish oil as you do need to watch out for mercury and other environmental toxins in the fish.  The brands we recommend are third party tested.
Of course a multivitamin is always a good idea.  Most of us do not get in our daily recommended servings of fruits and vegetables.  Again, make sure you are getting a high quality vitamin.  Our rule of thumb is you get what you pay for!  We have some wonderful x-rays in our office that show undigested vitamins all the way through the intestinal system.  A whole food vitamin breaks down better allowing the body to absorb the nutrients.
A probiotic is also another supplement to consider if the child has issues with digestion or illness.  Probiotics strengthen the immune system by introducing good flora into the intestinal system – 60% of your immune system is in your gut.

There are so many other supplements that you can consider and it varies depending upon the child’s health.  Make sure if your children due have any health issues you consult their doctor before starting them on any supplements.  To be honest, I am not very good about taking vitamins so the simpler I can keep it the better!  

No comments:

Post a Comment