Thursday, February 6, 2014

A Bedroom of Her Own

We found out we were pregnant with our fourth child the week before we closed on our house. We knew we were going to outgrow it quickly, but we felt bad about backing out of the contract at that point. Therefore, we figured we would live in that house for five years at the most and find a bigger house after that. 

We have now been in our home for six years and won’t be leaving anytime soon.

When we moved to Greeley we lived in a two-bedroom apartment with two kids. For three years, my oldest, Sophia asked for a house for Christmas and I would tell her not this year but definitely next year. So once we finally moved into a house, Sophia was excited at the amount of space we gained. However, it does not take long to fill in that space, especially when you add a fourth child into a three-bedroom house. Until Hannah, the baby, turned two, she shared a room with Zachary; but after that she moved into the room with the other girls. Soon Sophia was feeling pretty cramped and asked when she could get her own bedroom. I told her when she turned 12. 

Well, she is now 13 and we are just getting started on the bedroom.

To give Sophia a bedroom, I have to give up my storage room. This means I’ve had to do a lot of de-cluttering and rearranging in the past few months. And, in order to store all the supplies for the project, I lost half of my garage, most of my laundry room, and part of the family room. Sophia is thrilled, though. We let her choose the carpet and the paint for her room and she has been busy collecting lamps, furniture and wall hangings for her bedroom for the past two years

I have picked on my daughter a lot the past two weeks about how much space I am giving up for this bedroom to be built. But I do know how patient she has been with us while living in a small apartment and then sharing a bedroom with her two little sisters. 

However, Sophia has shared a bed almost every night for the past four years with at least one of her sisters so I am wondering how long it will take after the room is finished for Sophia to wander upstairs to cuddle up to the little girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment