Thursday, February 6, 2014

Being a Working Mom is Tough

When I go to business meetings, I generally introduce myself as a full-time mom and a part-time chiropractor because, whether we are at home or at the office, being Mom is a 24/7 job. I get texts, emails or phone calls daily regarding the children’s appointments, school events or pick-up schedule. Occasionally, I get criticized for not being home with the children more, but I have also been told I need to be in the office and more available to my patients. It’s a no-win situation.
Women in the workplace have become very common but working moms are still not always very well accepted. I find myself constantly trying to prove to everyone that I can work and be a great mom. How do I do this? Unfortunately, I over-commit. I don’t mean just a little bit. Every time I am asked, I say yes. But this past year I have noticed that all these extra commitments are taking away my time with the family.
Therefore, I am slowly learning to give myself a break.
For instance, I keep a planner with everything I have to do along with the kids: show and share, snack, projects, and tests. The first time I forgot snack and sharing, I felt terrible and defeated like everybody was waiting for me to fail. Yet, when I forgot about snack and sharing with Emma, I was freed up because she now memorizes the date when she receives the calendar and reminds me every week!
Also, my husband and I have been able to work out a schedule the past few years that allows me to be home in the afternoons with the children 3 days a week while he has “kid duty” the other two afternoons. Erik volunteers at school, drops off and picks up, packs lunches and brings the children to events and appointments on those days, just like I would. The divide-and-conquer parenting routine has worked well for us. This allows me to focus on my work and not feel like I need to be somewhere else.
At times I feel that it is still not enough.
Thankfully, though, I’ve realized my children don’t expect me to be there for everything –and, most of all, they don’t expect me to be perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment